Monday, February 8, 2010

Reflection

"An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's."- J.D Salinger

“Art is what you can get away with”- Andy Warhol

Both of these quotes define my interest in art and my views on creativity. I believe that being creative is being able to express yourself in any type of outlet, whether it is drawing, painting, writing, dancing if you can successfully portray the emotions you are feeling, I believe that is what makes someone creative. Creativity is focused a lot on emotions for me; it is a link that allows someone to express their emotions through being creative. Also creativity is being able to look at a problem and come up with a solution that may be different from the typical response. I chose these two quotes to represent what creativity means to me because when J.D Salinger says, “An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's." It shows that creativity is also for yourself and relates to your emotions, and it doesn’t really matter if others don’t understand your view of the solution what matters is that you were able to express what you wanted. I also chose “Art is what you can get away with” because when Andy Warhol said this I think he was describing how art is a creative solution to solving any sort of problem. It is what allows you to be creative and express yourself and not have answers that are truly outside the box. This is also why I have chosen a creative career path, because I can sit at a desk and you be fed information all day, but it would never process the same as it would for someone who is majoring in math for instance. My thought process is in images, not numbers, maybe occasionally words, but mostly images. All of my emotions or ideas are just images in my mind, and a creative career is what will help me display them best. When given this assignment my ideas all began before I had chosen my box. I wanted to create something abstract but geometric, something that from a distance appears as simple but has complex details. Keeping the geometric feel of a box but switching shapes and adding small complex details, while creating something abstract instead of representational. So while I was sketching I kept thinking of triangles and creating pyramids to make them 3D. Unfortunately at the time all I could find was a special K box. This box was a lot smaller than I had imagined it also didn’t have the same texture I was looking for. So I decided to keep the color on the outside of the shapes to keep the texture. Which in the end I think became the downfall because it made the piece look cluttered and way to chaotic. Also I had to change my design around from my original sketch because of the size of the box. So instead of a series of large pyramids balancing on each other I decided to create large bases but then have small triangles travel around them. Overall I can honestly say I wasn’t very pleased with how my piece came out, I think the structure and the detail work is how I imagined it, but the texture of the box and all of the colors distract the viewer from seeing the idea I wanted to originally portray.

1 comment:

  1. Project 1 Evaluation – Anything but the Box

    1. Notes on Artist’ videos: Included
    2. 3-D Design Notebook/ Blog

    • sketches: 1 drawing included .
    • photo documentation of process: Visual documentation is through and mostly clear, except at the beginning (bottom) there are a couple of steps mixed up in the order”
    Though, you have done a very good job with lighting in this process. Pointing light t the object and getting close ups, you have enhanced the texture work and details for the viewer. The dramatic effect of this lighting, allows these details to be much more appreciated in this blog’ documentation than during the presentation at the critique.

    • research on creativity/ reaction paper:
    Included quotes and personal definition of creativity.

    3. “Anything but the Box” 3-d form /Oral Presentation

    • Concept / Process:
    Reading your reaction paper, I believe that perhaps one the problems you encounter in this assignment, is due to inverting the order of the recognition/definition of problem, analysis and implementation. You mentioned you have the idea of what you wanted to make before you had even found any box. Consequently, the box didn’t solve your problem because didn’t respond the physical characteristic of the idea you had in mind. If you had spend more time observing the box in terms of Mass, Shape and Size, perhaps would come out with a different translation of this piece you had in mind. Having said that, even with the problems you have faced during the deconstruccion/reconstruction process, you have shown a clear understanding and definition of the problem of this assignment, and reprocessed your idea in an interesting way. Geometric shapes and base worked together towards the unity of this abstract 3D piece.
    • Implementation / Final design Presentation
    Good presentation of process in the blog. Once again lighting used in documentation, makes this work more engaging – and magic in a way- than when presented in class.


    Grade: A-

    ReplyDelete